MK Delta Lands Fact Sheet
MK Delta Lands Groups is applying to the Corporation of Delta for an Official Community Plan Amendment and Rezoning application at 7969 Highway 91 Connector. They want to build an industrial park on 155 acres of land located on the edge of Burns Bog (Lot 4).
The following are parts of their application:
• Proposed Agricultural Land Reserve Exclusion
• Official Community Plan Amendment
• Regional Growth Strategy Amendment
• Sanitary Sewer Area Extension
• Development Permit
• Subdivision Application at 7696 Highway 91 Connector
In exchange for this development, they are offering Delta 328 acres of land in Burns Bog and financial contributions.
Speak out and save the Bog!
Environmental Importance of this land:
Click here to read the Environmental Assessment of this project.
– MK DELTA’S PROJECT WILL AFFECT FISH AND FISH HABITAT.
– THE PROJECT HARMS INSECTS, AMPHIBIANS, REPTILES, & MAMMALS.
– THERE WILL BE IMPACTS ON MIGRATORY, BREEDING, AND NESTING BIRDS.
– THE PROJECT WILL LEAD TO LOSS OF WILDLIFE HABITAT.
– THERE WILL BE MORTALITY OF AQUATIC WILDLIFE.
– CONSTRUCTION AND POST-CONSTRUCTION: VEHICULAR COLLISIONS WITH TERRESTRIAL WILDLIFE.
– PLANT SPECIES AT-RISK WILL BE DAMAGED.
– WILL RESULTS OF WILDLIFE MONITORING STUDIES BE KEPT FROM THE PUBLIC LIKE WITH SOUTH FRASER PERIMETER ROAD STUDIES?
History of MK Delta Land:
2003 Premier Gordon Campbell announced that four levels of government were buying 5,426 acres of bogland for $78.7 million.
2004 Jack Matthews blocked the government’s deal by buying Burns Bog from the McLaughlin family.
2004 Jack Matthews then sold 5,025 acres to 4 levels of Government for $73 million, and kept 525 acres in private ownership.
2005 Jack Matthews and the Kerbel family created MK Delta Lands Group.
You can stop this from happening!
Delta Council may have passed 3rd reading of MK Delta Lands Group’s plan in Burns Bog, but it’s not too late!
Email the BC Agriculture Land Commission at ALCBurnaby@Victoria1.gov.bc.ca now. Send in your opinion on development plans in Burns Bog. Thank you.