BURNS BOG SUMMER DAY CAMPS PARENT INFORMATION
Camp Themes 2019!
July 2-5: * French Camp (ages 6-9) 4 day camp
July 8-12: (ages 8-12) – Wilderness Survivor
July 15-19: (ages 6-8) – Nature’s Builders & Explorers
July 22-26: (ages 6-10) – Animal Mania
July 29-Aug 2: (ages 6-9) – Jr. Wilderness Survivor
Aug 6-9: (ages 8-12) – Bog Superheroes 4 day camp
Aug 12-16: (ages 6-9) – Destination Imagination
Aug 19-23: (ages 6-9) – Junior Scientists
Single Day Drop-In is available during any week-long camp!
Can’t commit to a full week of day camps? That’s okay! Join us for 1 day during any one of our week-long themes.
Registration is required.*
* Single-day drop-in bookings are confirmed by email 2 weeks before camp start date. Bookings made any more than 2 weeks in advance will be wait-listed.
All parents must complete a Burns Bog Summer Day Camp Waiver Form and a Camper Questionnaire for each registered camper.
Questionnaires must be completed and sent in a minimum of 10 days before the start of Day Camp.
Waiver Forms must be completed and sent in by the start of Day Camp.
Click the link below to download each form.
Parents/Guardians who do not intend to pick up their children from camp themselves MUST complete a PICKUP RELEASE FORM or an UNACCOMPANIED MINOR RELEASE FORM.
You can download these forms by clicking the links below and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send them with your child on the first day of camp.
CAMP HOURS OF OPERATION:
Program Hours 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Pickup Supervision 3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m
From Alex Fraser:
- Take Highway #91 (East-West Connector) onto the Alex Fraser Bridge.
- Take the Nordel Exit and keep to the far right lane towards Hwy #17 and # 1 (NOT Nordel EAST).
- Follow the road as it curves around Highway #91
Continue to steps 3-6 below.
- Get onto BC-91N. Exit Nordel Way (before the Alex Fraser Bridge)
- Stay in the left most lane as it curves around over Highway #91.
- **Get into the second right-most lane (directly left of the one marked “SCALE”) and follow the road as it curves around.
- Follow the sign that says “Nordel WEST” and turn right at the first set of lights (Nordel Way).
- Turn right on Nordel Court (first right, at the Esso gas station).
- Drive to the end of the block and enter the Great Pacific Forum (aka Planet Ice)
How to Find Us:
Camper sign-in/out is located at the furthest point from the entrance of the parking lot.
Day Camp Location:
Summer Day Camps take place in the Delta Nature Reserve at our outdoor classroom (a 5 min walk from
the pick-up/drop-off location)
- To find the Day Camp Location, please walk over to the eastern side of the Planet Ice building (towards the overpass) where you’ll find a brick path at the end of the parking lot.
- Follow this path to continue under the Nordel Way overpass.
- Head right to walk along Lower Cougar Creek. You should pass a large sign that says “Delta Nature Reserve.”
- Walk 5 minutes to find our Outdoor Classroom area.
Burns Bog Summer Day Camp Goals and Outcomes
It is our belief that each camper is a unique individual with his or her own set of unique skills and abilities. Our programs are designed to be flexible, accommodating the needs and interests of each individual camper. Our goal is to introduce each camper to as many positive outdoor experiences as possible, building their confidence among their peers and in the great outdoors.
Burns Bog Summer Day Camps are held entirely outdoors at the Delta Nature Reserve. Camp activities include games, crafts, and guest presentations that help campers learn and explore in nature. Each Camp Theme helps campers learn a little more about Burns Bog and how to take care of the plants and animals that live there.
It is our hope that the experiences we provide will foster creativity and individuality in each camper. Burns Bog Summer Day Camps encourage an awareness in children of themselves, others, and the world around them.
How to be Prepared for Camp
Clothing and Equipment Checklist
The following is a list of items that each camper will need to bring to camp every day.
- Nut-free lunch and at least 2 nut-free snacks
- This is a garbage-free camp – please pack your lunch and snacks in re-useable containers and bring any garbage back home with you
- Refillable water bottle
- Close-toed footwear ONLY
- Weather-appropriate clothing eg. Raingear for rainy days, hats for sunny days…
- Sunscreen (min. SPF 30)
- Insect repellent (as this is a wetland environment, there may be mosquitoes)
- Change of clothes (optional) in case of any changes in weather.
Have your camper(s) keep their cell phones, electronic devices, and valuables at home. Campers will not be allowed to use cell phones during Camp. The Burns Bog Conservation Society is not responsible for any lost possessions.
It is our goal for every camper to have a positive Summer Day Camp experience. We encourage all campers to have a positive attitude while at Summer Day Camp.
Communication with campers and parents is key when it comes to managing behavior that is inappropriate or challenging. We try our best to understand challenges as they arise, and come to a resolution that makes all campers and staff happy.
Burns Bog Summer Day camps have a firm policy against all types of bullying. Each camper is expected to treat all other campers and counsellors with respect.
We expect campers to act honestly, responsibly, and respectfully, and safely at all times when they are in the Delta Nature Reserve or participating in our Programs.
- All campers are to be honest with other campers and our camp counsellors
- All campers are expected to take responsibility for their actions
- All campers are to respect themselves, each other, their counsellors, guest speakers, Society materials and equipment, and the environment
- All campers are expected to follow all safety directions as presented by camp staff
- Camper fees are non-refundable if a camper is sent home for disciplinary reasons.
- Payment is due in full when you register
- Cancellations made with more than 30 days’ notice will be given a full refund, minus a $25 administration fee.
- Cancellations made with less than 30 days notice will not receive a refund unless we are able to fill your spot with a camper of the same age. If your spot can be filled, we will provide you with a refund, minus a $25 administration fee.
- The Burns Bog Conservation Society retains the right to cancel Day Camp dates at any time due to safety hazards and concerns. This may include, but is not limited to, extreme weather conditions, unexpected flash flooding, fallen trees, or downed power lines. In the event that your booking is cancelled by the Burns Bog Conservation Society, the dates missed will be refunded in full.